Okay so I’m always on the look out for yummy comfort food. One of my favorites is rice pudding. Sadly I haven’t had rice pudding that I really enjoyed since my grandma passed away about 10 years ago. It was one of the only dishes that she could make well. She was a sweetheart, could find a deal in a haystack, had a great eye for decoration and was just awesome. However I think even our slightly contentious family could all agree, the woman just couldn’t cook.
So I was derping around on Pinterest because I was bored and well, it’s Pinterest it just sucks you in and refuses to release you until you slump over your keyboard, eyes bleeding, fingers cramped from clicking that little pin and drained of all energy. Luckily before I got to that point I stumbled upon this, a recipe from heaven I think. Because who else but GOD himself could come up with Vanilla Coconut Rice Pudding. All of you non vanilla coconut liking people can exit to the right, the rest of us are going to marvel and be awed with the wonderfulness of this recipe. Let me tell you what I like about it.
1. It’s EASY. Like really, really easy. You dump crap in a pot and cook it on medium low for like 45 minutes… what could be easier
2. It makes a smallish batch, it was enough for about 4 decent size servings. Most rice pudding recipes I have come across make gallons of the stuff.
3. It’s yummy warm and reheats wonderfully. Rice pudding should always be eaten warm in my world, rice pudding cold is blecky.
4. There is not a single smidge of cinnamon in it. I’m not a huge fan of the stuff. A little bit mixed with sugar on toast … sure, a bit inside of cinnamon rolls is okay (however I far prefer sticky buns). But there just isn’t much that I like it in. Period.
5. It tastes a little bit like coconut, but it’s not overwhelming. It’s a melded wonderful medley of yumtastic yumminess.
6. It has 6 ingredients. How simple is that?
So here it is, this is a recipe that I got from ffffood blog. If you love it go let them know!
Vanilla Coconut Rice Pudding
1 1/2 cups of cold cooked rice
1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
2 cups of whole or 2% milk
1/3 cup of sugar
pinch of salt
Vanilla (bean or extract)
Now the original recipe uses a vanilla bean but I’m cheap and don’t buy stuff like that for myself. So I just poured in vanilla extract and according to my family I over use the stuff so I would recommend like 1 or 2 tsps of it and you can add more as you go along if you want to.
Put it all into a medium pan, turn your stove on medium low and just simmer it for 40 minutes, stir it every now and then. VIOLA yummy yummy rice pudding.
I think the next time I make it I’ll add more rice because it did end up a little thin for my tastes but you could probably also add a little rice starch or tapioca flour or something to thicken it.
Anyway cook some up and let me know what you think. I found it delicious.